Search site

Frequently asked questions

1.  What happens when someone makes a 101 call?

The call goes through to the police force enquiry centre (FEC).  The FEC records the details and determines whether police response is required immediately.  If one is, then the details are transferred to the police command and control system and prioritised.  If not, then the details are recorded and added to the web server which is accessed by partners and a record is created in the police records management system (RMS).  


2.  101 details - how the NFDC community safety team access the details of the calls? 

The police receive the 101 call at the control room.  They place the details on a web server that is accessed by NFDC and the Hampshire County Council accredited community safety officers (ACSOs).  NFDC write to all 101 anti-social behaviour related callers offering a community diary which is a resource to keep accurate records of events. 


3.  Where can I find information on what anti-social behaviour (ASB) is being reported in a particular area? 

Hampshire Constabulary and Hampshire County Council provide crime reports which is a publicly accessible site for Hampshire residents that shows crime and ASB reported. 


4.  Where are details of 101 call and any subsequent contact/work stored? 

Police records management system

Police command and control system, altaris (if an officer has been dispatched)

NFDC customer services system

Records systems at NFDC

SafetyNet (ASB case management area) - if victim makes contact with NFDC community safety

Individual partner systems such as those of housing associations


5.  Why have I received a letter from the council?

NFDC has committed to writing to all residents that make a 101 ASB related call explaining the options people have. 


6.  What are the options available to someone who has experienced or witnessed ASB?

Continue to phone 101, police will process information as above.

Complete a community diary, these are available on request from NFDC community safety team.

Contact your neighbourhood policing team via phone, email or in person. 

Attend beat surgeries/police and communities together (PACT) meetings.

Contact housing associations/landlords.

Contact victim support.

Please note that it is important that all incidents of ASB are recorded either by reporting it to the police or recording it in the diary.  This ensures that a complete picture is captured.   


7.  What is the importance of identifying patterns?

While single incidents of ASB are unsettling and unpleasant, there is little extra that partners can achieve other than a detection of culprits and reassurance to the victims and witnesses.  However, patterns of persistent ASB indicate more serious underlying causes than one-of events that often are identified as 'japes' by the perpetrators.  To stop the persistent ASB, it is important to identify drivers and aggravating factors that cause the ASB events in that location.   

For this reason it is imperative to identify patterns, such as times of day, days of the week, locations, impact on victims etc.  This is where the community diary assists as they capture subjective data as well as the incident, for example how it affected the victim.  This is why it's important to record all events in the diary.   


8.  Community diary - What do we do with them when they are completed and returned, how are they used and how are they stored? 

Community safety receives all the diaries in the confidential envelopes provided (freepost).  They are scanned and emailed to appropriate partners, (if consent is given) such as the neighbourhood policing team and housing officers.  The partners consider the information and take actions needed (this may include liaising with other agencies where appropriate).  If the case is more complex and the lead partner feels that a bespoke case meeting would assist action planning, this is arranged and undertaken.  If it would be considered helpful or if requested, the person completing the diary may be invited to part of the meeting. 

After scanning, the diary sheets are loaded onto SafetyNet and the hard copy is shredded.    


9.  Where can people go for crime prevention advice?

The Blue Lamp Trust operates a Bobby Scheme throughout Hampshire for vulnerable and elderly people, referrals can be made on behalf of anyone who meets the following criteria:

  • Vulnerable due to age (over 60)
  • Vulnerable due to circumstance
  • Disabled
  • Victim of burglary
  • Repeat victim of crime
  • Victim of domestic abuse

Many private security companies offer advice and these can initially be checked through the Buy with Confidence scheme endorsed by Hampshire County Council trading standards.

Generalised information regarding crime reduction advice can be found on the Safer New Forest website. 

If you would like to ask for general advice, you can contact the neighbourhood policing teams.  


10.  Is ASB personal?

Most ASB is not personal.  It is distressing and it often feels personal but most victims of ASB are not specifically targeted.   


11.  Is arson ASB?

Arson is a crime.  However we need to know when people are playing with fire as fire-setting can be a trigger to other offending.  So please log fire-setting in the community diary and/or report it to 101.  Fires that you feel could become out of control must be reported via 999.


12.  I am worried about my neighbour, what should I do?

If there are concerns about the mental health or situation regarding any adult or child, telephone Hampshire County Council and make a referral to Adult and/or Children's Services. 

For more information on Adult Services.

For more information on Children's Services.


13.  Who should a tenant complain to?

Report to both 101 and your housing landlord.  Registered social landlords have a power to tackle ASB.  If you are a council tenant your report will be investigated by the New Forest District Council neighbourhood and tenancy management team.  For information on what will happen and what you can expect, please click the following attachment adobe icon Council Tenant Advice [67kb]


14.  Please see below some other complaint routes.

Fly-tipping - report the incident online or phone 023 8028 5000. 

Noise - phone 023 8028 5000

Smell - phone 023 8028 5000

Pest Control - phone 023 8028 5000

Pollution - phone 023 8028 5000

Criminal damage to public spaces, bins are usually owned by NFDC and can be contacted by phoning Streetscene on 023 8028 5000.  Most equipment, benches and other street furniture such as planters are owned by Parish Councils.  Parish Council details for the New Forest are available by clicking here

Graffiti, phone 023 8028 5000 or report it online.   

Lighting problems and damaged signs, report to Hampshire County Council


15.  How do I contact the Council elected Members and MPs?

District Councillor details.

MPs for the New Forest details.


16.  Who do I contact about litter in play areas?

Usually this is the responsibility of your Parish Council


17.  How do I use a drone responsibly?

When you fly a drone in the UK it is your responsibility to be aware of the rules that are in place to keep everyone safe. Follow these simple steps provided by the Civil Aviation Authority (UK) to make sure you are flying safely and legally.

adobe icon Drone Code [130kb]

The drone safe website also provides information how safety apps that can be used to look at an interactive map of airspace used by commercial air traffic so areas to avoid can be seen. 


Hampshire community trigger


What is a community trigger?

The community trigger gives victims and communities the right to request a review of their case and bring agencies together to take a joined up, problem-solving approach to find a resolution. 

If the community trigger threshold (see below) is met the agencies will share information, review what action had been taken and develop an appropriate action plan to address the issues being reported.  This plan will be fed back to the person that raised the Trigger who has a right to appeal the findings and recommendations. 

Who can initiate the community trigger?

  • A victim of anti-social behaviour or another person's acting on behalf of the victim. 
  • An individual acting on behalf of a group of residents or community group.

If you want to raise a community trigger how do I do it?

Contact Hampshire police on the non-emergency number 101.

What is the community trigger threshold?

If you are raising the trigger as an individual, you must have made 3 reports in the previous 6 months of behaviour causing harassment, alarm or distress to an authority or agency and think no action has been taken or are not satisfied with the action taken. 

If you are raising the trigger as representative of a group, 5 individuals in a local community must have reported, separately, similar incidents of anti-social behaviour to an authority or agency and believe that no action has been taken or are not satisfied with the action taken.  The individual acting on behalf of the group must have all other individuals consent in order to raise the trigger.

To meet the criteria, incidents need to:

  • Have caused harassment, alarm or distress.
  • Been logged within one month of the incident with the last incident occurring within the previous 6 months. 


Updated: 10 Jan 2019
Powered by GOSS iCM